It's difficult to teach music.
I really really enjoy teaching. No matter how good or lousy my students perform on that day's lesson. No matter how talented the student is or the lack of it. I love seeing students progress. I love watching how they slowly digest information and the skills I impart, which sums up to mostly three important things 1)Discipline, 2)Musicality & Technic, 3)Humility.
And yes, I take teaching quite personally. Though people say it's just a job (which it is, in real fact), but I think it's virtually impossible to be a good teacher without investing feelings and expectations for each of your student. How do you impart an honest skill without having any genuine concern for your students? Is it possible? Maybe if it was possible, it would make teaching more of a breeze. Then I wouldn't have to feel bad or worry when students come and go.
One student quit today and the weird thing is.. I actually felt relieved instead of feeling upset. I guess I was expecting it. She's a very new student, only 4 years old, cannot concentrate and very spoilt. And her parents are difficult. Very rich, live in a nice secluded condo off bukit timah road, but so unreasonable. I taught the girl 6 lessons and had to remind the mom 3 times before she even paid me the fees. Which makes me wonder... why are rich people like this? Sigh. So anyway, yeah i feel quite relieved. Cos that should free up more time for me, or another time slot to accept another student who hopefully isn't so spoilt. So I sms "OK byebye :)" to her mom. Was quite glad to bid them farewell.
Teaching students is much more complicated today than before. It's more difficult nowadays.
Back in the times when I was a student, my piano teacher was literally the king. Students were fearful of their tutors. Parents encouraged the teachers to be strict and do whatever necessary to discipline and teach the students. The parents TRUSTED teachers to do their thing. Today? The whole scenario is so laughable. Parents think they know so much and they want to make all the decisions. They don't respect teachers at all. So full of themselves.. it annoys the heck out of me. If they are so clever and know so much, why don't they teach their own children piano then? I hate reminding parents the fact I'm the t-e-a-c-h-e-r, not them. Sometimes i have to do that, and it really is quite embarrassing for the mom/dad. How unnecessary!
Apart from dealing with unreasonable parents (with unreasonable attitude and expectations), there's still the unreasonable kid (which i suspect learns his/her unreasonable behaviour from his/her unreasonable parents). Not wanting to sound oldie fudie about my principles, but generally, I find kids these days rude and unbecoming. Of course, there are exceptions and I do recognise the few white sheep among the horde of black ones. Bad students just make teaching such a chore. Cmon, it's so fun to teach.. we love imparting what we know to you. We want you to play as well or even better than ourselves. Why make us dislike teaching you?
It's the bad days and bad students and bad parents that make me think twice about doing music full time. I don't know how teachers like TM and AR keep up with such things. Maybe they become immune to rotten eggs. That's the only way not to lose your sanity to ungrateful people, right?
I just want to remind students & parents... learning how to play the piano well takes TIME. A lot of time. Just as how you can't become a carpenter overnight, you cannot play well in months. Those who are too eager to rush past the elementary basic work properly will never go far. Fast is never good. I'm speaking in terms of the ability of an average student. They'll end up like 80% of students around... only can play their exam songs or the songs they have memorised in the past. Real piano playing means a student can read new music anytime, be able to execute pieces correctly in terms of rhythm, notes, expression and balance. FOUNDATION matters a lot. A well trained pianist will also know how to interpret and appreciate the music. Execute with style and feelings. That's where the real joy comes in.
And all of that, takes time.
1 comment:
my fault but still, miss ya so much as my teacher. you're the best i've ever had.
Post a Comment