Friday, September 30, 2011

Crazy school week and super hot weather

It's been a crazy week and I can't believe I'm saying this, but TGIF (really!).

But no matter what, I'm still thankful to God for the opportunity to stuy again. Though school is tougher than work, the process is more fascinating, ah :)

Some things to thank God for :
1) Passing the RNCM Chamber Choir audition!
2) Passing the Chamber Music as Minor audition - just waiting to see what combination i'm assigned to now
3) C's (housemate) parents are gone. They've made my life miserable in the first 2 weeks!
4) Getting a ticket to "Come & Sing with John Rutter" in London Oct 22
5) Really nice housemates (SH, SW, C) and also friends in college (YB, L, A, K, etc)
6) Encouraging and kind-natured Principal Study Tutor S.S

Chamber Choir rehearsals have started and I'm happy to be singing again. Everyone in the group is mostly from the Vocal department so they're really good but I"m just excited to be even one of them. (I know its so silly) We rehearsed Purcell's Funeral Sentences yesterday, and it sounded pretty good even for a first rehearsal where everyone was sight-singing! Today they have a rehearsal again too but I'll have to miss it cos I've got practice room booking at 1pm.

School is about to get really hectic with all the classes, workshops, masterclasses, lectures, assignments, lessons, and on top of that, rehearsal hours. I've voluntered to be a guinea pig for a presentation class on 01 Nov (much to the delight of the head of keyboard apparently) and I've been assigned to play for a forml recital on 08 Dec. Now, the latter requires a lot of work cos I have to play from memory and the score will be given to a department tutor who will check and assess my playing. Scary part? My Principal Study tutor isn't even the least bit anxious! But I shall pester him again next week to confirm the repertoire so I can jolly well start learning it! Goodness!!

Talking about my Principal Study tutor - S.S - he seems like a fine gentleman. He said he likes my playing and some other positive stuff ..which is nice.. its always so encouraging to hear good things isn't it? So anyway, he asked me about 1-2 wks ago to prepare the Mozart sonata first movement and I played it for him in the first lesson this week. He stopped me halfway and said "okay that's alright. That's very reassuring". I didn't ask what "reassuring" meant but I suppose its a good thing no? And btw, he's totally fine with me not having a music degree background! (I'm the ONLY one in the entire keyboard school without formal music school training). It was important that my teacher didn't mind... so thats one huge stone off my shoulder.

Oops its 11.22am!! I gotta run for my Musicology lecture now!!!!

Love this reading today - www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/neither-do-i-condemn-you

P

No comments: