Friday, April 15, 2005

More sure than ever

When the night is so quiet, and all I hear is Lupu playing brahms in the background, my fingers suspend above the keyboard, just so entrapped by the music.

Yours truly have been so busy lately. I'm virtually out of the house in the morning, and often home late at night. Wait. Aren't you currently officially a slacker? Well, supposed to be.

But, just look at today:

08.00am Alarm rings. Sleep.
09.00am Wake up in frenzy, brush, wash up, change, pack
09.25am Scutters out of the house looking absolutely unglarmorous
09.45am Arrives at Leslie's place. Start rehearsing my piano
11.00am One run through with Leslie for 4 songs. He leaves for Esplanade. I practice again.
12.45pm Goes for Lunch with Michelle
01.30pm Catches MRT to Ang Mo KIo
02.30pm Start Chong Boon Choir rehearsal
04.30pm Runs off to catch bus
05.40pm Finally arrives at King Albert Park after switching 2 buses. Quick dinner with Lionel.
06.15pm Hops on a cab to Frangipani studio. Rehearse, rehearse and rehearse.
08.15pm Calls cab to the bloody remote place. Left Frangipani. Dropped off, took a bus.
09.00pm Arrive at Clementi central to KTV with qy and bell's sister. Sing, sing, and sing. Siao.
10.30pm Leave Karaoke with qy.
10.40pm Hops on bus 106.
10.50pm Busy thinking of my music. Damn, missed my stop.
11.15pm Hops on bus 61
11.35pm Gets home at last.


What a day.
I'm supposed to feel tired I think. But somehow, when the day is full of activities you love, meeting people you care about, and ending with a sense of achievement and satisfaction, fatigue doesn't really set in. Perhaps I will feel woozy in 15mins when I read the bible in bed, but I'm happy.

And while I was waiting for bus 61 at 11.00pm, I thought to myself "It isn't so bad waking up to a day with thoughts of only music. It isn't so bad spending hours on non-stop piano rehearsal. And it isn't so bad rushing about your life if everything that is to be done is related to music." Is it just today? I don't know. But if I continue to feel the same way for the next month or so, I would start to think that perhaps a music career would be better. Ah, how nice. Following in my father's footsteps. When I was a kid, he was so desperate to ship me off to Russia or China to study music, but I refused. Silly me. Guess he really had the foresight. Always prophesised that I"ll end up doing this after all, and it was useless of me dreaming of being a scientist. See lar! Stop dreaming lar, pauline! What's so great about NASA? Stoopid. Tsk.

But life, as it is, is always unpredictable. Like how I ended up doing a computer science degree. What the hell was I thinking about, man? Luckily can pass, otherwise sure kena mocked by my father. I don't know what will happen tomorrow. I don't know what is to happen in 1 year, 10 years from now. But surely, God has a plan and he will be always here with me, through every obstacle, every celebration, every trial, and every jubilation.

Tomorrow, recital. Sunday, piano accompaniment masterclass at esplanade and also leslie's voice masterclass in the evening. I'll be playing Love's Philosophy and Toujour! So exciting. Why? Haven't played them for bloody over 2 years. Frenzy intensive practice today, but it still sucks. Just decided only last night that I'll shell out 100 bucks to have someone criticise my playing. Don't laugh. I need the criticism. Badly. In fact, I crave for someone to scream into my ear... "Play properly!!" Damn. I miss the days being hit so hard on the knuckles by my crazy teacher. Builds character, you know. Oh well, I really hope its worth it. 100 bucks leh. It's like a quarter of my rent. *sigh* Surely there must be something to learn from other fellow pianists. Right? Meanwhile for the near future, cds and the fellow musicians around me will continue to be my inspiration and my "teachers". (Last night, Melvin's pianist came over to Leslie's place and gave me some really useful pointers and tips on my playing. It was so great to have someone who plays well giving me constructive critique!) Well, really pray I won't screw up big time during the two masterclass. In any case if I do, grant me the intelligence to cover it up so brillantly. Haha.


I really really love playing.


-God natt. Krams.

No comments: