Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Time Traveler's Wife

Belated Selemat Hari Raya

If you might have noticed, I have taken out a heart-wrenching entry which was previously published on Saturday's early hours. It was too depressing to see it each time I entered Sunflowr Seconds, and I figured it would be senseless making my friend (you) worried if I have, by any chance, lapse into some "mini depression". If you're wondering, I"m fine. It was one of those horrible nights where you just cry into your pillow and still can't sleep though the clock screams bloody 4am. But such nights just enforces certain reality truths deeper into my head, and I learn to remember that I have to be stronger.. and wiser.

Interestingly, today's topic is on... TIME TRAVEL!
Usually we have three camps -1) We believe, 2) Don't be stupid, 3) Heck, do I look like I care? Which do you belong in?

I'm in Camp 1, cos I really think its possible. Don't ask me for specifics! It's a kind of abtract belief. Like how I believe chicken soup is nice. Chicken rice is nice. Hokkien mee is nice. (hmm) Not quite it, yah? But you get what I mean.

Seriously, if YOU could time travel (say, into either the past or future), where in time would you go to, and what would you do? Who would you talk to? Would you attempt to erase or change (damn it, I actually wrote "edit" initially, my vocabulary is ruined by 4 years of computer science education) anything? Honestly, I have a couple of regrets in life... I don't exactly have to change them since I've come to live with them right now, but well, I don't know which one to pick! Can't imagine the chain reaction consequences as well..oooh.. maybe I can imagine. Haha.

I'm reading the book "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. Just bought the book today cos I was itching to read something. Of course, as usual, I checked out the online readers' reviews, especially those on amazon.com (I am a customer, btw) before making the 26 dollars purchase. Was looking for another book initially but that was 800 pages long so I thought my simple brain would assimilate a 530 pages one nicely instead. By the way, its an interesting book. I sat down in the coffee house and read 72 pages straight before deciding that I would make my way home before I couldn't stop reading.

Just to share an excerpt:
'... We lie silently side by side, watching the swaying trees, the birds, the sky. I hear a muffled sniffling noise and glancing at Clare I am astonished to see that tears are streaming across her face toward her ears. I sit up and lean over her. "What's wrong, Clare?" She just shakes her head back and forth and presses her lips together. I smooth her hair, and pull her into a sitting position, wrap my arms around her. She's a child, and then again she isn't. "What's wrong?"

It ccomes out so quietly that I have to ask her to repeat it: "It's just that I thought maybe you were married to me." ...'

You have to read the book to get what's going on. Are you enticed?

Of course, you could always read about good old John Titor, the guy who claimed to have come from the future. Btw, he's gone now, so .. but you could read about what he talked about. Could give you a couple of frown lines and goose bumps though. If what he says is true, the future sucks. Sucks big time. So, get ready...

And to end off, something interesting I got to know from Joo's blog :

You are .gif Sometimes you are animated, but usually you just sit there and look pretty.
Which File Extension are You?


Hmm.. not very flattering, isn't it? Oh well, at least look pretty lar :)

No comments: